By Lew Ayotte | July 4th, 2009
I’ve noticed a number of people promoting their blogs and blogposts on Twitter and I thought to myself, “It would be great if there was a plugin in WordPress that automatically tweeted a new blog post.” I did a quick search and the only solution I found was called TwitterPoster and apparently a lot of people had been frustrated with the developers attempt to add spam into their tweets/posts. So I wrote this one (spam free!).
Since originally writing this plugin, a number of similar plugins have been released. Hopefully the new features I added will make this version stand out.
What I Changed
- Fixed issue with not stripping slashes properly from default tweet format option
- Removed unneeded option code for efficiency
- Updated str_ireplace function for better PHP4 compatibility
- Discovered WP_Http class (since WP2.7) which makes life much easier for everyone, but this bumps the support up to start at WP2.7)
- Removed cURL requirement, switched to WP_Http API
- Removed Twitter API Classes, switched to WP_Http API
- Changes in cURL requirement required modification of init() function
- Moved URL shortening functionality for improved efficiency
- Moved exclusion check for efficiency
- Fixed bug in scheduled posts, if a secondary account schedules a post and logs out, it would not have tweeted the message
- Had a typo when checking the PHP Version for PHP5 functionality
- Fixed bug that prevented TwitterPost from tweeting when setting a custom tweet on a Post page
- Fixed bug with category exclusion logic… accidentally brought it back in with version 1.3.0
- Cleaned up and remove 139 lines of code
- Fixed second bug with category exclusion logic
- Fixed bug with category exlusion logic
- Added fullthrottledevelopment profile as contributor
- Fixed PHP cURL Requirement Error Message
- Added PHP cURL Requirement skip if Twitter Friendly Links is already installed.
- Added ability for WP Admin to set Twitter Post to tweet from all Author accounts whenever a post is published.
- Changed default tweet from “Blogged %TITLE%: – %URL%” to “Blogged %TITLE%: %URL%”.
- Added check to make sure PHP Curl is installed.
- Fixed bug that caused Twitter Post to tweet when adding new page.
- Added ability to specify which categories to include/exclude in tweet.
- Added ability to exclude a post before publishing it.
- Added support for using Twitter Friendly Links instead of TinyURL links when TFL plugin is activated.
- Added support for multiple author twitter accounts and default twitter account.
- Fixed support URLs
- Fixed Default Tweet typo (”blogged” instead of “bloggged”).
- No longer publishes to twitter when you update/edit an old post.
- Added feature to customize tweet per post using Custom Fields.
- Changed project URL to http://fullthrottledevelopment.com/ – my new business venture.
v1.0.0 – Initial release
- Allows custom tweet formatting with %TITLE% and %URL% tags.
- Download and uncompress rf-twitterpost.zip
- Upload the entire rf-twitterpost directory to your WordPress plugins directory
- Activate the plugin
- Configure your options
Possible Future Features
- Username/Password verification before save.
- Ability to add post excerpt to tweet.
- Possibly switch to Twitter’s OAuth API.
- And as always, we listen to your requests…